Wednesday 30 January 2013

Before You Start Your Story

You know how authors release novellas or shorts between novels in a series? I tried this "extras" technique out on two WiPs, and it's crazy how much it helped. The trick is to write them before you pen a word of your first draft.

All you need to do is take your protagonist back to a point in his or her life that will be important to the plot later. Doesn't have to be pivotal, as long as they discuss or think about it in the actual manuscript.

Get your pen/computer/typewriter out, and write the scene. You'll have a better understanding of your character and their motivations, as well as setting, the relationship with other characters, and backstory. Makes a huge difference.

Happy writing!

4 comments:

  1. I have so many of these little snippets hanging out on my computer. I agree; it's been so helpful in understanding my characters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe how much they've helped!

      Delete
  2. I've done this so many times. I love writing out little bits of backstory and such for my characters. :)

    ReplyDelete